BCC Welcomes New MACC AmeriCorps *VISTA

My name is Amanda Schuler and I am this year’s new Massachusetts Campus Compact AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer for BCC’s Service-Learning Office.

I am from Dalton, Massachusetts and I graduated this past spring from MCLA, cum laude, with a B.S. in Business Administration and a concentration in Marketing and Management. While at MCLA I worked for the Student Development Office on orientation and events for my campus and our outside community, the Academic Affairs Office and Continuing Education. Throughout my four years, I was accepted into the Alpha Chi Honor Society and the Delta Mu Delta Business Honor Society. I served as Treasurer, choreographer, and member of the MCLA Dance Company and was elected as Co-President during my senior year where I was also elected the Class of 2012 Treasurer that was part of our Student Government Association (SGA). I also held the position of Vice President for the Cheer Club for two years and served my fellow students as a Peer Advisor. My dedication to service gave me the honor and privilege of winning the “Student Development Unsung Hero Award” in April 2012.

My college experience and knowledge that I have gained has really made me who I am today. I have learned a lot about myself and how I can and want to help others in my community to build and make it stronger. I believe my leadership skills and commitment to service will make me a great role model for the BCC students and an excellent representative of the college in the community.

The focus of my one-year tenure is on supporting BCC’s Service-Learning partnerships with the Pittsfield Public Schools and the Berkshire Immigrant Center. I will expand our existing tutor/mentor program with the schools to include English Language Learners K-12. I will also utilize resources from the Berkshire Immigrant Center to support the new ELL collaboration with the schools and the educational and economic aspirations of the broader immigrant population in the Berkshires.

One thought on “BCC Welcomes New MACC AmeriCorps *VISTA