BCC Faculty Sponsors:
PSY-204 Human Growth and Development
Projects with Pre-K Youth: (Chiang)
Assist teachers and work with early childhood population (ages 3-4) in educational classrooms throughout Berkshire County. Open Monday-Friday 9am-12:30pm
- Sacred Heart School, 1 Meadow Lane, Pittsfield (8 classrooms)
- Conte Community School, 200 West Union St. Pittsfield
- Lee Elementary School, 310 Greylock St., Lee
- Becket-Washington School, 12 Maple St., Becket
- Muddy Brook Elementary School, 319 Monument Valley Rd, Great Barrington
- Howland School, 46 Howland Ave. Adams
- Johnson School, 21 Williams St., North Adams (5 classrooms)
Projects with School Aged Youth (Schroder & Chiang)
School-Based: Tutoring, Mentoring and After School Programs
(Student range in ages from 6 to 18 years old), (M-F, 8 am – 5:00 pm)
(Must do a CORI Check through Colleen Kelly @ the Pittsfield Public Schools Administration Center – 269 First St. Pittsfield, Phone Number (413) 499-9512.)
Crosby Elementary School– 517 West Street, Pittsfield
– Tutor in classrooms during the school day.
– After School Tutoring/Homework Help: 3:15-4:15
– Special Topic After School Programs: 4:00-5:30
Williams Elementary School – 50 Bushey St, Pittsfield
– Tutor ELA in classrooms during school day.
Pittsfield High School – 300 East Street, Pittsfield
– English Language Learners Program – Tutor students who need help with English Language skills in classrooms during the school day
- Greylock Elementary School
- Brayton Elementary School
- Sullivan Elementary School
(Arrangements made between students and School Community Coordinator, depending on student schedule and school’s availability.)
Muddy Brook Elementary School – Great Barrington
- Tutor and mentor youth in classroom setting during the school day or after school
North Street, Pittsfield
Tutor and mentor at-risk high school students . Assist students with online learning program and provide support to keep students on-track.
Monday-Friday – morning session (8am-10:15) and afternoon session (11am-1:45pm)
After School Programs: (Chiang)
Kids 4 Harmony
Berkshire Children and Families
480 West Street Pittsfield MA 01201
Alicia Stevenson- Artistic Director
413-448-8281 ext. 17
Assist teachers with group music lessons for school aged children which will focus on ensemble playing in addition to age appropriate skills development for young musicians. Work to inspire and motivate children and youth to participate to their fullest potential.
Pittsfield Site: Kids 4 Harmony program hours run between 3-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at Morningside School in Pittsfield. Location: 100 Burbank Street, Pittsfield, MA
North Adams site: Kids 4 Harmony program hours run between 3-4:45 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Brayton Elementary School in Pittsfield. Location: Barbour St., North Adams
(Must do a CORI check through Berkshire Children and Families, Pittsfield Public Schools – or – North Adams Public Schools)
IS183 Art School
IS183 Art School – “Learning Through the Arts” Grades k-5
- Assisting art teachers and working with kids in the Learning through the Arts after school programs at various elementary schools.
- Morningside program will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons from 3:30-4:45 (plus some time for set up/clean up) beginning 9/25. The program will run until the week of 11/27 and there will be no class Thanksgiving week. K-5th grade. Morningside has various themes for each of the 5 classes. BCC students will be placed where there are slots available.
- For other schools and days please click here for full list of schools and schedules
- Muddy Brook Elementary School,
- Richmond Elementary School,
- St Mary’s,
- WIlliams Elementary School
- IS183 Art School
Projects with Adults:
Hospice Care of Western MA (Schroder & Chiang)
Meet one on one with patients to provide a listening presence and/or to give respite relief to a caregiver. There are no “hand-on” requirements for this. Students will be accompanied by a Hospice staff.
Harvest Table (Chiang)
Location: First United Methodist Church, 55 Fenn Street, Pittsfield.
- Help the Head Cook and other volunteers cook and serve a free community meal to over 70 people at the Harvest Table Tuesdays from 3-6pm.
Habitat for Humanity (Chiang)
Location: In and around Pittsfield. Sites vary.
Schedule: Saturdays 8am-1pm
Volunteer with Neighborhood Revitalization projects. They are similar to regular house builds. Depending on the date BCC students are scheduled to work, activities may include: working on flooring, laying foundation, carpentry for a deck, or painting. We promise that nothing is too technical—and of course there will be a construction supervisor and Habitat staff on site for guidance. Habitat is willing to work with people with any level of experience.
Contact person: Nicole Eigbrett