BCC Faculty Sponsor: Flavia Mastellone
ECE-104 Intro to Early Childhood
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED TO PLAY WITH HOMELESS CHILDREN
Did you know that 1 in every 45 children in the U.S will go to sleep without a home this year? Horizons for Homeless Children is seeking fun-loving, dependable people to interact and play with children living in family homeless shelters and domestic violence shelters throughout the Berkshires.
A commitment of 2 hours a week is required for at least 6 months. Day and evening hours are available. Trainings are held regularly and are listed on our website. Our next Training will be held on Saturday October 19th from 9:30am-3:30pm at Berkshire Community College.
For more information: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 413-532-0467.
517 West Street, Pittsfield (Flexible Tutoring Hours)
– Tutor k-2 graders in classrooms during the school day.
– Before School Breakfast/Homework Help: 8:00-9:00 (General Education Subjects)
– After School Tutoring/Homework Help: 3:15-4:15 (General Education Subjects)
– Special Topic After School Programs: 4:15-5:30 (Pick from a vary of subjects.)
(Must do a CORI Check through Colleen Kelly @ the Pittsfield Public Schools Administration Center – 269 First St. Pittsfield, Phone Number (413) 499-9512.)
Assist teachers and work with early childhood population (ages 3-4) in educational classrooms throughout Berkshire County. Open Monday-Friday 9am-12:30pm
- Sacred Heart School, 1 Meadow Lane, Pittsfield (8 classrooms)
- Conte Community School, 200 West Union St. Pittsfield
- Lee Elementary School, 310 Greylock St., Lee
- Becket-Washington School, 12 Maple St., Becket
- Muddy Brook Elementary School, 319 Monument Valley Rd, Great Barrington
- Howland School, 46 Howland Ave. Adams
- Johnson School, 21 Williams St., North Adams (5 classrooms)
Location: BCC, Main Campus
Ages 15 months to 5 years, 2 classrooms Toddler & Pre-School,
Hours: (M-F) 7:15 AM – 5:15 PM
Erin Morris, Program Director, 236-3061
Nicole Trottier, Lead Teacher. 236-3060
Assist teachers and young children with activities in this Child Care of the Berkshire Inc. run site. Work one-on-one or in small groups. Openings for 3-5 students. Child care orientation provided and required by staff. Students must do at CORI at this site. First Aid and CPR certified a plus!
165 East Street, Pittsfield, MA
After School programs (ages 5-14), (M-F, 3:00 – 6 PM)
Early Childhood Education Program: 5 classrooms, 1 for infants, 2 for toddlers, 1 for presechool and 1 pre-kindergarten. A safe, comfortable and nurturing place for children to grow and learn independence within the context of deveopmentally appropriate curriculum.
Horizons for Homeless Children
Locations: Pittsfield and Adams
Days & time flexible
Horizons creates and installs Playspaces inside of family homeless shelters, (including 4 shelters in the Berkshires: Our Friends House, Elizabeth Freeman Center, Redfield House, Louison House). These Playspaces are developmentally appropriate for children aged 0-6. Trained volunteers are needed at these Playspaces to provide healthy, educational play for the children living in shelter.
Volunteer Training on March 2, 2013 in Pittsfield (9:30 AM – 3:30 PM) Location: TBA.
Berkshire Children and Families
480 West Street Pittsfield MA 01201
Alicia Stevenson- Artistic Director
413-448-8281 ext. 17
Assist teachers with group music lessons for school aged children 6-13 year olds which will focus on ensemble playing in addition to age appropriate skills development for young musicians. Work to inspire and motivate children and youth to participate to their fullest potential. Provide one on one attention. Help students learn how to practice, work through a difficult passage, offer encouragement and support, ask students to show and explain what they know.
Pittsfield Site: Kids 4 Harmony program hours run between 3-5:30 p.m. Monday-Friday at Morningside School in Pittsfield. Location: 100 Burbank Street, Pittsfield, MA
North Adams site: Kids 4 Harmony program hours run between 3-4:45 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday at Brayton Elementary School in Pittsfield. Location: Barbour St., North Adams
Programs run until the end of the school year. Students are asked to commit to participating until June 12th.
(Must do a CORI check through Berkshire Children and Families, Pittsfield Public Schools – or – North Adams Public Schools)
IS183 Art School – “Learning Through the Arts” Grades k-5
- Assisting art teachers and working with kids in the Learning through the Arts after school programs at various elementary schools.
- Morningside program will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons from 3:30-4:45 (plus some time for set up/clean up) beginning 9/25. The program will run until the week of 11/27 and there will be no class Thanksgiving week. K-5th grade. Morningside has various themes for each of the 5 classes. BCC students will be placed where there are slots available.
- For other schools and days please click here for full list of schools and schedules
- Muddy Brook Elementary School,
- Richmond Elementary School,
- St Mary’s,
- WIlliams Elementary School
- IS183 Art School
55 Main Street, (Church on the Hill) Lenox
Students will gain hands on learning experience teaching and interacting with 3-5 year olds in a creative-base cooperative preschool.
Lenox Cooperative preschool is a small school with large purposes; to foster a lifelong love of learning, to nurture children and their senses, to offer ample opportunities for educational, creative and imaginative play in a beautiful environment that is safe, supported and recognized as a formative force in a child’s world.
We have an integrated curriculum based around the responsive, Waldorf and Reggio Emilia classroom models. Montessori and other methodologies are woven in to create a best practice model preschool; one that supports the student, the student body and the synergy of the whole school.