Managing Your Stress

David Lennon

Breathe

Positive reinforcement word Breathe engrained in a rock

Stress can be caused by a lot of things, work, kids, school or just plain old life in general.  For most people we let stress take control of ourselves instead of ourselves taking control of our stress.  For me personally the first thing I like to do when I’m feeling stressed is to… Acknowledge why I’m stressed and ask the following questions.

• What is the worst case scenario?
  • What good is coming from this?
  • How can I resolve this ?

All these questions are great to ask yourself because often we find that we tend to worry about the littlest things that are meaningless.  However the biggest stress reliever is controlling your breath.  By controlling your breath you are now switching focus on something completely different and is now distracting you from the original stressor. Simply just breathing is a bigger solution to your stress than any other alternative, so keep doing what your doing now and just breathe.

Additional info:

Paul, G., Elam, B., & Verhulst, S. J. (2007). A Longitudinal Study of Students Perceptions of Using Deep Breathing Meditation to Reduce Testing Stresses. Teaching and Learning in Medicine19(3), 287–292. doi: 10.1080/10401330701366754

This entry was posted in Quick Tips To Destress. Bookmark the permalink.