Service-Learning Coordinator Reflects

On her own volunteer experience with the Ice Shockers Speed Skating Program.

My role as the Service-Learning Coordinator at BCC is to provide college students with the opportunity to participate in meaningful service experiences that broaden their academic, personal and civic experiences. Personally, I believe in serving my community and the importance of empowering young people. On October 4th began my own volunteer experience with the Ice Shockers Speed Skating program. This is a speed skating program for girls in 6th through 8th grade sponsored by Pittsfield Parks Speed Skating Club, Girls Inc. of the Berkshires, & Boys and Girls Club of Pittsfield. A member the Speed Skating Club since age 6, I was delighted share my knowledge and enthusiasm as an assistant coach for this program. I teach the girls how to skate on the ice and how to practice yoga off the ice.

Now in its second year, the program is packed with 15 tweens and teen. Through generous local donations, the young skaters are outfitted with top of the line gear. On the first day, four girls had never been on ice skates before! They were holding on to the boards – terrified of falling and unsure of how to move on their new 13 inch blades. It was more challenging to teach total beginners how to ice skate than I expected. Skating is second nature to me. But I jumped in, offered my arm and broke it down into small steps. First, we practiced standing on two feet, then gliding next to the boards until they could find their balance and begin to let go of the boards. Patience and persistence; with yourself and others. Two virtues I’ve found to be the foundation of learning (and teaching) anything new.

Club’s blog: See video and pictures. http://pittsfieldspeedskating.net/?page_id=64

My next challenge was teaching yoga to this group of energetic and empowered teens. I didn’t have any illusions that the girls would be focused for 45 minutes, but I was expecting a few moment of peace and quiet! I played soft music in the background to set the tone, but it was barely audible over the giggles, commentary and other adolescent outbursts! I persisted. Giving consistent and clear instructions for each of the poses I had researched as being appropriate for teens and tweens. “Close your mouth and breath through your nose” was a frequent and timely reminder throughout the class.  I walked around the room, demonstrating patience (I hope!) and attention to each yogini struggling to find her body position on the mat. Finally, it was time for relaxation pose! “Please lay down for a few minutes of quiet reflection.” I turned off the lights: pitch black. Followed immediately by eruptions of “Ohhs” and other noises of surprise. “Breathe,” I directed, “In through the nose, out through the nose. Slow…everything…down.” For a moment the room was still. Then a few giggles welled up and rippled around the room. Time was up. The girls returned to a seated position and learned the meaning of the traditional Indian greeting, “Namaste: the light within me honors the light within you.” The fluorescent lights flashed back on, signaling the end of our first yoga class.