Domestic Violence

We have entered the last month of 2010, and with that, one would assume that the world, globally, would be moving ahead. But after reading this chapter I am amazed at how little domestic violence has changed. The United States media puts a stigma on domestic violence and laws forbid it, but it still happens in many homes. This was not very surprising to me. I suspect that domestic violence is fueled by many men’s deep control issues (however it is not limited to men). Violence in India shocked me however. The fact that domestic violence is only ever spoken of if it is very violent, or how both men and women find it acceptable if the wife is “misbehaving.” Misbehaving by who’s standards? The husband’s? And the husband is not discouraged from beating her. He is given several “justifiable” reasons to blame the abuse on. The only reason I can find that helps me understand why women may tolerate and accept the abuse, is because they are given no other alternative. Women can try to live on their own but because it is extremely hard to get a good paying job (no where near a man’s wage) and the stigma assigned to leaving her husband women stay. They are also taught from the beginning that men are more valuable and that women just “drain” their family economically. Without having options, role models, or enlightenment to an entirely different life  style, they have no other choice but to accept being married and abused.

In Japan, women do have the option to leave their husbands and be financially secure, but there are no strict laws to protect them from their husbands. In Vietnam women suffer from “invisible violence” -going home after work and working their second shift as mother and housewife- and “visible violence.” And in Uganda, domestic abuse is seen as “part of the culture.” We are transitioning into the year 2011 and yet, the world is still accepting the abuse and oppression of women and children. Although much of this violence takes place in rural areas it takes place among many college graduates living in Urban areas as well. Something must be done.

-Olga

2 thoughts on “Domestic Violence

1. I agree that the world should be more aware of the social injustice that go on around the world. Im not surprise by the abuse because many men have control issue.I am surprise by the way the Indian women are treated. If the world would open their eyes maybe we could change this kinds of behavior. I think that the U.N. should step up and help these women around the world. The same way they interfere with countries about the chemical weapons. Its sad that it happens in places like the U.S. and Japan. You would think that America of all places wouldn’t tolerate this at all. We as a people should be more aware, and fight to help our sisters around the world.

2. The world would become a better place on the day that all domestic violence came to an end. Some countries are so far behind the USA with women’s right and that women are equal to men. Children are also abused in some countries and it really bothers me how people can abuse children. More countries not just the United States need to be involved to put an end to domestic violence, together we all can make a difference.