Remote Pilot Exam

Even though I’ve been “ready” for months, just yesterday I finally was able to fit taking the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Exam and passed!  I started studying for this over the summer, and tried to fit this in all Fall Semester but just couldn’t find time to do it.  I considered doing it over the Holiday Break, but then decided that some time off without work would likely be better.  So, now it’s done and I don’t have to do it again for another 2 years.

Of course the weather didn’t want to cooperate, so I had to drive to the Northampton Airport in a pretty good storm.  The roads were snow packed most of the way, almost slid off the road once.   Then when I arrived to the Airport they had some troubles bringing up the exam.   Finally at about 12:10 the exam started, I was about as ready as I would ever be!

Results

FAA 107 Exam Results

The exam was hard — or at least the version of the exam I got was.  Some of the questions I had studied for, latitude and longitude for example, weren’t even on the test! There were other subjects that had questions which I wasn’t at all prepared for.  Overall, it went well, and in the end I scored an 80%, not as good as I had hoped but certainly high enough to pass.  The most difficult part was that the exam doesn’t tell you your score when you finish right away, and then it took another 15-20 minutes for them to figure out how to bring up the score… that was a hard 15-20 minutes to wait to see the results!

You can lookup the codes to see the questions I got incorrect on the FAA’s website.  I’m noticing that most of the questions that I got wrong were ones that I second guessed myself on when going back to review the exam.

In 2 years when I take it again I’m determined to do even better, but a Pass is a Pass!