The Digital Commons computer lab in the BCC Library is ready for the semester! The library officially opened last week and ever since students have been trickling in to use our resources. It’s not the normal volume of students by any means, and there are many new safety measures in place to make sure everyone stays safe. Here are some of the changes and additions you will see in the Digital Commons.
- Everyone coming to campus must wear a mask and follow all COVID-19 policies — NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Everyone coming to campus must fill out the Campus Access Request Form
- Every other computer, or computers within 6 feet of another, are closed down to enable social distancing
- Plexiglas barrier at the Lab Assistant desk
- Tons of wipes and hand sanitizer, literally buckets!
- Antibacterial/antiviral spray and paper towels
- Stickers on the floor in high traffic areas to encourage social distancing.
- A maximum of 15 people at any one time are allowed within the Digital Commons
- Facilities will be through to clean and sanitize surfaces twice a day with a fogging machine used every evening after closing
And also very important — we ask that all students wipe down desks, keyboards, and mice after using them.
The Library was also fortunate enough to be able to purchase a Book Sanitizer machine which uses UV light and is capable of cleaning up to 6 books at a time. We also plan on using it to sanitize some electronic devices, such as headphones and laptops. Check out this video below using it to sterilize a used textbook from the Bookstore!
There will also be several ways for students to get technology help from the Digital Commons. There will be a staff of Lab Assistants working at the desk, but it will be fewer than usual and their shifts will not overlap as much. There will also be Remote Lab Assistants, available by Zoom on a set schedule to meet with you about your technology questions. Students looking to schedule a 15 minute remote help appointment with me can still do so by using this link here.
Also don’t forget to check out our COVID Resources For Students page. This page has all kinds of
information and resources for students to help through these challenging times. Just one example is a Map of BCC Campus that shows the best places to receive the strongest Wi-Fi signal from the parking lots!
All in all we are in for a very different semester, however I don’t think we could be any more ready!