Writing Samples

Dating back to the earliest years of my life, I knew I was born to write as soon as my hand formed graphite letters on lined paper. I felt satisfaction when I created a piece I loved, so much so that it fueled my inhibition to write on my own time. I recall my mother preserving my writing in a protected storage cabinet, my evolution becoming evident with every piece. Like my mother’s saved cabinet, I want you to feel the inhibition and pride behind every word of the pieces below. We will grow together.

_______________________________________________

LAR-101-02 – Color Me Crimson

“Color Me Crimson” is a perspective poem that addresses the speculated overturning of the revolutionary Roe v. Wade court case in May of 2020. Written at only fifteen years old, this unadulterated piece exemplifies the feminine fear of protection as we enter a man’s world.

LAR-101-02 – A Blanket to Swaddle You

“A Blanket to Swaddle You” is a poem dedicated to my single mother that displays the monumental impact that her maternity has had on me. This universal piece dives into the value of a mother’s support amidst the struggles of transcending from adolescence into adulthood.

Honors ELA-101 – Vignettes

“Hint of Light Blue,” “Throat Lump, Stomach Churn,” and “The Hare” are vignettes that speak the unspoken of domestic abuse. This mistreatment of loved ones is an epidemic in the twenty-first century, as rage and untouched emotions become the brunt of a hit. These vignettes are the comeback story of how a frail, abused child did not let others’ actions dictate her destiny.

Free Write – Your Aging Nature

“Your Aging Nature” was a risky piece written as a double entendre for the Harvard Summer Academies. The interpretation of this poem belongs to the reader only, which is the beauty of the multitude of meanings in the writing. The emotions and memories that this poem evokes are specific to the experiences of the reader alone.