Critical Skills

This page goes over skills that I’ve improved on during my time here at BCC that have helped me grow as a person and a student tremendously.

The first skill would be writing. When I came out of high school and started here at BCC, my writing skills were not at the academic level they should’ve been. I didn’t know how to properly write a college essay and I didn’t know anything about finding proper research, incorporating accurate sources, using citations, and just properly formatting a paper. Throughout my four semesters here at BCC, I have improved so much as a writer and I feel like each one of my classes I’ve taken in that time have given me a lot of practice. I can confidently say I’m comfortable writing any type of paper for any class! Also, because I’ve written so much, I’ve been writing more in my free time for fun and that’s because of all the writing assignments I’ve done.

The second skill is time management. My first two semesters at BCC were fully online and with online classes, I had a specific due date for assignments and I would always wait till the last minute to do them and it caused me a lot of stress. I was constantly procrastinating and not putting the right amount of time into my assignments. These past two semesters, I’ve been going to in person classes and my overall work ethic and time management skills have improved so much. I was on a proper schedule and I’ve been more motivated to get assignments in on time and that’s helped a lot. A lot of the work for my classes this semester, I did early just to get them done so I didn’t have to worry about them. I do still procrastinate sometimes, but it is a skill I’ve improved on more and it’s helped me improve my grades each semester!

The third and final skill is public speaking. I’ve been lucky enough to take some classes in person where I had to speak up more and be the center of attention. When I first came to BCC, I was very shy and definitely needed to improve my speaking skills and put myself in uncomfortable situations to improve it. These past two semesters have really helped me improve in that field. For some of my classes, I’ve had to do multiple presentations and consistently doing them helped me become a lot more comfortable with speaking in front of my fellow peers. I don’t really get too nervous about speaking in front of people anymore and I’m happy about that. I think the main thing for me is to just not overthink anything and just go with the flow and try to make it as organic as possible.

Those are some of the skills that I’ve improved tremendously on during my time here at BCC and through majoring in Liberal Arts, I was able to learn, improve, and grow as a person and that’s something I’m very grateful for!