LISC AmeriCorps Service Description
Full-Time Member Position
October 1, 2014 – July 31, 2015
Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) and Community Development Corporation of South Berkshire (CDCSB) are seeking a full-time (1700 hours within ten months) AmeriCorps member to serve as Associate Project Manager.
CDCSB is a non-profit community development organization serving the rural southwest corner of Massachusetts; creating affordable housing and economic opportunity for low- and moderate-income households. Current projects include brownfield redevelopment, commercial real estate development for locally owned businesses, multi-family affordable housing development and open space preservation.
LISC is dedicated to helping community residents transform distressed neighborhoods into healthy and sustainable communities of choice and opportunity — good places to work, do business and raise children. LISC combines corporate, government and philanthropic resources to help community-based organizations revitalize underserved neighborhoods. This strategy extends to the LISC AmeriCorps program where we support placing AmeriCorps Members with local non-profit partners. Members assist in efforts to revitalize underserved neighborhoods across America and create vibrant places for people to live, work, and play.
The member selected to serve in this capacity will be responsible for the Project Management of at least one current project with direction and oversight of the Executive Director. The Member will:
— oversee and manage the process for design/development and permitting;
— coordinate and facilitate project financing applications
— coordinate the work and facilitate communication within the design development team
— facilitate and manage the communication and relationships with Town Boards and partnering organizations;
— keep records for all project meetings and project-related correspondence
— manage the project schedule, including the construction schedule if applicable
Members will also be expected to fully participate as part of the LISC AmeriCorps team. LISC sponsored activities including:
- Attend a national leadership conference tentatively scheduled for March 2015. This conference is coordinated by the national LISC AmeriCorps staff;
- Attend all locally sponsored monthly meetings;
- Participate in a minimum of six nationally sponsored webinars;
- Engage in every-other-month affinity groups to discuss topics related to the member’s service; and,
- Actively participating in two locally identified and team coordinated service projects (one for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service and one for National AmeriCorps Week).
This is an AmeriCorps position. LISC and Community Development Corporation of South Berkshire will not allow the member to engage in activities that are considered prohibited under the terms of the grant while serving as a LISC AmeriCorps member.
- Good organizational skills,
- Good quantitative skills (facile with MS Excel),
- Tenacity (every project dies 10 times before it gets in the ground),
- Familiarity with the idea of “The Commons” and contemporary community planning values
- Familiarity with and/or enthusiasm for green building and energy efficiency
- Familiarity with building or construction
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Computer skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends may be required)
Program Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible to participate as a LISC AmeriCorps member the candidate must meet all eligibility requirements to serve as a National Service participant including but not limited to:
- Possess a high school degree, GED certificate or agree to achieve GED during the term of service
- Be at least 17 years of age (note there is no age limit)
- Have status as a US citizen or possess permanent resident status
- Be eligible to earn an education award and not be barred from performing a term of service
- Be available to serve for a full 10 month period of time and within that time period complete a minimum of 1700 hours of service
- Be available for service from October 1, 2014 through July 31, 2015
- CORI check is required
Upon successful completion of the term of service, the member will be eligible for a $5,645 education award to pay off existing, eligible student loans or return to school. The position pays a total stipend of $15,000. The stipend is paid in 20 equal checks twice a month. Direct deposit is available and highly encouraged. A health care benefit is available for the participant only (dependents are not eligible). For members with children under the age of 13, there is a child care subsidy benefit available which is dependent on the participant meeting all eligibility requirements. This benefit is administered by a contracted provider via the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Resumes should be sent to:
Tim Geller, CDC of South Berkshire, PO BOX 733 Bridge Street, Great Barrington, MA 01230 (413)528-7788 email@example.com
And also to: Marizabel Benoit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
LISC & Community Development Corporation of South Berkshire promote equal opportunity in selecting AmeriCorps members.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the selection process.