Increasing the Relaxation Response with Simple Breathing Techniques

Inhale Exhale The relaxation response is essentially the opposite of the stress response. It is the body’s way of reversing some of the physiological changes that occur when we are dealing with stress. Dr. Herbert Benson, a cardiologist at Harvard Medical School in the 1970s, developed a way to increase the relaxation response using meditation. In addition to meditation, yoga and muscle relaxation are other ways to trigger the relaxation response. But perhaps the easiest way in increase the relaxation response is to do something that we must do anyway: breathe. 

Breathe

The first breathing technique I’m going to mention is something we’ve probably all heard of but may not have really focused on – abdominal breathing. In an effort to stand straight to look taller, and hold our belly in to look thinner, we tend to only breathe in our chest. This makes our breathing much more shallow, and all that muscle tension, well, makes us tense. Ideally this should be done lying on the floor, but you can do it in a seated position.  Place your hands on your stomach, with your fingers just touching. Take a slow, deep breath in through your nose, allowing your stomach to move up (or out if you are sitting).  Most of the movement should be in the stomach area-not the chest. Then exhale slowly. You can also place one hand on your stomach and another on your chest if that is a better cue for you. With some practice, this can be done anywhere. I’ve found it helpful when I am driving and traffic is not cooperating with my plans. Just remember to keep your hands on the wheel! 

Another breathing technique is to match your inhale and exhale. This could take a bit more concentration. Or it may help your focus. Sitting comfortably, breathe in for a count of three, then exhale for a count of three. Once you are comfortable with three, try to increase your count to five, then seven, then eight, then ten, each time matching your inhalation with your exhalation. Ideally you want your inhale to be in through your nose and your exhale to be through your mouth. 

lion yawn

A third technique I thought was interesting is the jaw release or modified lion’s breath. I tried this one when I recently had a tension headache and was clenching my teeth, and it worked wonderfully. In a comfortable seated position, take a deep breath. Then open your mouth wide, stick your tongue out and say “Aahhhh” as you are exhaling. Yes, it looks as silly as it may sound, but the tension in my jaw and the headache were both just about gone after a minute or so. 

pause

Ideally you would want to try for 10-15 minutes of focused breathing a couple times a day. But don’t stress if you can’t fit that much in or can’t stay focused on just breathing that long. The idea is to start and make it part of your routine and with practice it will become easier! 

Sources 

Kovar, Elizabeth. 2016. Six Breathing Exercises to Reduce Stress.  

https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/professional/expert-articles/6014/6-breathing-exercises-to-reduce-stress 

Renee, April. 2018. Reduce Stress with These Simple Breathing Exercises You Don’t now.  

https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/depression/reduce-stress-with-these-simple-breathing-exercises-you-don’t-know 

Harvard Health Publishing. 2016. Relaxation Techniques: Breath Control Helps Quell Errant Stress. 

https;//www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/relaxation-techniques-breath-control-helps-quell-errant-stress-response 

This entry was posted in Archive. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Increasing the Relaxation Response with Simple Breathing Techniques

1. Elizabeth Oakes says:

Excellent techniques, I have tried them all and they really work!

2. Sonia says:

Glad they were helpful!

3. Ellen Kennedy says:

Sonia, many thanks. I just tried these techniques and I found my shoulders resting more comfortably. Thanks for sharing.

4. lee says:

Thanks for sharing these awesome techniques. They work !

5. RISMA ANDIANI says:

thank you for sharing