Teen pregnancy decline since the 1950s

Sex was on a quick uprising causing a rise in the amount of teen pregnancies. The United States has recently seen a decine in teen pregnancy since the 1950s, with this decline the US is still one of the highest ranking birth rates in comparison with other industrialized countries. Childbearing in teenagers is not only looked down upon because the the health risks that mother and child are prone to, but also the rising rate of uneducated US citizens. According to the NCHS the teen pregnancy birht rate has decreased almost 9%, as an all tie historical low since 1949.

With these declines it is safe to say that the impact of the pregnancy prevention messages have taken impact. Check out this website, it has many more statistics with graphs and more information that should make everyone happy!

9 thoughts on “Teen pregnancy decline since the 1950s

1. I went and checked out the site and I cant believe some of the statistics. It says that there were 367,753 babies born to teens ages 15-19 in 2010. I was in shock when I read this. I knew that there were a lot of younger girls having babies but I never thought that many. There is also tons of other thing you can look up on there. Thanks for the great information!

2. I am very glad that teen pregnancy has gone down. It’s alarming to me what the teen pregnancy rate must have been back in the day, because I was doing a research project on teen pregnancy and it seemed to be quite prevalent. The case in Glouster, MA for example: The teens made a “pregnancy pact” with each other, promising that each would get pregnant not realizing the realty of what they were doing. Also, a study showed that Pittsfield and North Adams had an increase in teen pregnancy reaching numbers that were astronomical. So I am actually very glad that you have reported to us that teen pregnancy has decreased, it’s a relief to know this fact!

3. I agree that the pregnancy prevention messages must have had a positive impact. In reviewing data, it also shows that the abortion rate also dropped in the United States. Education our youth must be the key.

4. I didn’t see the link, but I was surprised that teen pregnancy was on the decline. There is so much talk about it and childcare in high schools, etc, that one would think it was rising. I would be interested to see the ages to which they are referring when they say teen pregnancy and if there are declines in some ages and rises in others.

5. I find this interesting, hopefully it is due to teens being educated on birth control methods & their desire to be college & high school educated before starting a family. Although there are a lot of teen pregnancies out there. Hopefully a decline will continue with the reality of friends of pregnant teens seeing how having a child has a major impact on their lives and seeing what hard work it is to care for a child when they are still children themselves. Perhaps the decline also has to do with parents and upbringing or the condition of the economy?

6. It is a good thing that teen pregnancies are on the decline. When I was in High School, a girlfriend and I visited our Girl Scout teen leaders who lived in West Maryland (where the state is only 4 miles wide). They were teachers there and we visited the school. To the teachers’ dismay, the norm was to get pregnant and married before one graduated High School. This was the thing to do there. I was in total shock. The girls who were pregnant were so happy, and the families they came from were happy too. Who da thunk it? In their culture it was a good thing. I only wonder how their lives turned out. Maybe some did well, but my guess is that most did not.

7. I was surprised to see this. It seems like more and more children are getting pregnant younger and younger. But, it is good to learn that although it seems to be common the instance is getting fewer and fewer. It is a huge problem.