Un-Frazzle Your Friday

Welcome back to Self-Care Corner this Friday, come on in and take a seat! I’m happy to see you back here so soon. How are you feeling? How is your stress level? Please take a moment to just relax where you are right now, read this, just take a few deep breaths and check in with yourself. I hope you all are well and doing your best to stay healthy. Remember, we will get through this turbulent time and you can always take a moment to take a few slow deep breaths in and out, relax your body, and check in with yourself when you feel stressed. Sign that says 'Make this day great"I encourage you to keep reaching out to friends, family, co-workers, and therapists via phone, Skype, Zoom, FaceTime or any other video or chat platforms during this uncertain time. It’s important we remind each other that where we may be apart, we are still connected and there for each other. Having support is incredibly important for us all during these unpredictable times so, please don’t be afraid to reach out. There are even hash tags such as #inthistogether and #alonetogether on Twitter to help keep us all connected. It is important to find time for self-care, like exercise, getting adequate sleep, eating healthy, mediation, and practicing gratitude can all help reduce stress and anxiety during these very uncertain times in our world. Doing your best to stay positive can really make a difference in your overall mood and keep you from getting overwhelmed in the current state of the times.

We are all in this together so, remember to support one another during this time!

While I was drinking my tea the other morning, I stumbled upon a news story about Brene’ Brown and her new podcast Unlocking Us. I am not normally a podcast listener however, this got my attention. I have been a fan of her TED Talks for some time and thought it may be a good time to explore the land of podcasts again. If you have never tried listening to one, I recommend you give it a chance while we have this extra time in our lives. Unlocking Us is now streaming on her website and other streaming platforms. Check it out! Unlocking Us Logo

Unlocking Us with Brené Brown

I think Brene’ is such a powerful speaker and really looks at life in a honest way which takes such vulnerability. I think we all are taking a more honest look at our lives in recent days and having to deal with our own and possibly our family’s vulnerabilities can take its toll. Not having our usual outlets can cause extra stress and bring out underlying anxiety. Being able to have a better understanding of our vulnerabilities has the possibility to change how we handle them in our daily lives. Below, I have also included a TED Talk that Brene’ did about the power of vulnerability. It is worth watching, even if you have already seen it.

We all are feeling a bit more vulnerable these days and that can be a difficult feeling for some of us to sit with. We are all human and need to remember self-care and compassion is important during this unpredictable times. Don’t forget, we are all a bit anxious, fearful and vulnerable, we are all in this together. If you are feeling lonely reach out to someone and reach out to those you know are alone during this time. Where we may need to be apart, we don’t have to be alone.

Trying to stay positive with all that’s going on around us can be difficult, yet not impossible. Taking a few minutes everyday to do something thatTea set makes you smile or laugh can really help reduce anxiety and stress as well has help you maintain a positive attitude. I hope that you are able to find some balance in your new normal that includes self-care, doing things that bring you happiness or help you find some calm in your day. I will be back on Monday with more tips, videos and suggestions on how you can find your happy place.

Please remember to wash your hands and practice social distancing if you do have to go out to protect the most vulnerable among us.

I would like to know your thoughts so, please feel free to leave your comments, questions and suggestions under the Contact Me tab at the top of the page. You can subscribe to this blog by clicking on the Subscribe button in the lower right corner. Just enter your email address and receive Self-Care Corner in your inbox every morning!

In addition, you can now find Self-Care Corner on Twitter @selfcarecorners, where I will be posting daily affirmations and ways to cope with these changing times. I hope this will help others feel less alone, more relaxed and more empowered to practice self-care.