Not Getting By

1. In the first paragraph i was surprised to find that someone would give up their comfortable lifestyle to try and see what t like being a poor working class person. I was also surprised to find out that 50,000 mothers entire welfare a day. I was surprised at how dedicated she was to the task she had ahead of her but at the same time someone in her shoes really couldn’t eliminate jobs just because they didn’t wanna stand still all day. What really surprised me was the true stories of the people who she worked with. All of them unhappy with their lives and all of them not making enough money to be satisfied. But yet t the same time none of this surprised me because i know that this is the situation for almost everyday in America right now.
  2. I’ve had about 4 jobs since i was 14. I worked at a supermarket for almost a year when i was 14. Which i had to deal with pleasing rude customers. I briefly had a summer job at the Itam lodge working events to please customers. For 2 years when i was 15-17 i worked at Bennigans Grill an Tavern and my job was exactly  like the one described in the book. I wasn’t a waitress i was a hostess but we still took orders or drink orders and had to keep the customers happy in hopes of making enough tips to pay all my bills i have. Even as a hostess i didn’t make minimum wage.
  3. Minimum wage in the U.S. right now is $8.00 an hour. But that is defiantly not enough to get by. To live comfortably in this country to need to make upwards of $50,000 a year. And i would say the average American is either unemployed to not even making anywhere close to that. They’re making something close to $25,000 which is not enough to survive having a place to live and having food especially if you have a family too.

By: Shauna

One thought on “Not Getting By

1. I’ve worked as a ski instructor at Jiminy Peak, home of the ultimate tourists. Making $8.00/hr only when I was instructing made getting enough money impossible. I could be there for an 8 hr shift and make absolutely nothing on slow days. I also agree that $25,000 (which is still aiming high for some families around here) is not enough to live comfortably. Even low-income housing isn’t cheap enough for those with families living on a minimum wage job.