Student Visa Issues

With certain exemptions an alien already in the United States can apply for a change to F-1 status if he or she has maintained lawful non-immigrant status up to the time the application is filed.  

Check list of procedures for changing from an J-1  or Tourist Visa to an F-1 Visa

1)                First Apply to the College

International Admissions Office,  (413) 236-1636 

Complete Admissions application

Provide an official high school transcript or GED transcript

Provide official college transcripts if you hope to transfer credits in

 Pay $35 application fee

 Provide College level English proficiency proof (TOEFL scores)

Provide Affidavit of Support for $17,000.00

Notarized BCC form

 Official bank/financial institution statement proving readily available funds

Provide College Health Requirements

BCC Immunization Requirements form

Provide proof of health insurance coverage

Discuss Change Nonimmigrant Status / From I-539 with BCC International Admissions Staff 


  2)       After being admitted to the College Apply for Change of Status

Pay SEVIS I-901 fee ( for student visa) prior to filing I-539

 Apply to Change Nonimmigrant Status / Form I-539 by submitting;

Original Form I-94

 Copy of valid passport

Copy of current/valid visa

Original Form I-20

Proof of I-901 fee payment

Copy of Affidavit of Support

Written statement explaining reason fro request of change of status.

Pay Form I-539 fee

Submit payment with Form I-539 application.  Fee is $300.00

 Pay by check or money order from a bank or financial institution located in the United States and payable in U.S. currency.

 Make check or money order payable to:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Where to File Change of Status and Visa application?

            USCIS Vermont Service Center

           ATTN: I-539

           75 Lower Welden Street

           St. Albans, VT 05479


3)          To be able to register for classes you have to take the Learning Skills Assessment Test

 Practice test:

Call to schedule Learning Skills Assessment Test Testing Center, 236-1655, Koussevitzky #213

          Take your test in Koussevitzky #213

          Bring photo ID the day of testing

          Receive scores by mail

Call to schedule an appointment with an academic advisor to select your courses

  • Registrar’s Office, 413-236-2137. 

4)          When Visa has been approved.

Provide BCC International Admissions with:

Copy of approved I-20

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.