SCI Social Capital, Inc.
Connecting citizens to strengthen communities
Volunteer Outreach Coordinator
A ten-month AmeriCorps position
The mission of SCI Social Capital Inc. is to strengthen communities by connecting diverse individuals and organizations through civic engagement initiatives. We envision a nation where individuals are strongly connected to their neighbors and play an active role in shaping the destiny of their communities. This increase in ‘social capital’ will result in communities that are safer, healthier and more vital.
The Volunteer Outreach Coordinator (VOC) will develop and implement practices for effective volunteer engagement at their host sites, drawing on SCI’s emphasis on relationship development and nurturing local social networks.
· Design a volunteer outreach plan aiming to increase the capacity of volunteers for the host-site agency
· Create a system for screening and matching volunteers to appropriate roles that meet educational needs.
· Coordinate projects that engage families in school and community life such as resource fairs, family arts and cultural events, academic enrichment projects and family service days. This will also include recruitment of volunteers to provide childcare so that parents can participate in school events.
· Utilize technology and in-person outreach to recruit residents to volunteer and participate in other civic activities.
· Each VOC will recruit and coordinate at least 75 volunteers and document at least 200 additional individuals participated in community activities as a result of the member’s service. They will help increase traffic by 10% for the SCI community web tools and social media accounts and host partner website and social media accounts (if applicable).
· Manage contact information of volunteers, website and eblast subscribers and other contacts.
· Create marketing materials to promote the community website, volunteer opportunities and community events.
· All VOCs will have a strong online presence and depending on the host site some VOCs will serve as the primary webmaster for one of the SCI community websites. These members will also be the primary editors for the local civic eBlast. Some of the responsibilities of these roles will be to update content on SCI community portal websites, weekly civic eBlasts, community partner sites and other websites in order to recruit residents to participate in volunteerism and other civic activities.
Required Skills for Essential Functions
· Excellent written and oral English communication skills
· Ability to conduct community outreach and make presentations to community groups.
· Excellent organizational and computer skills
· A commitment to national service and the mission of SCI
· The desire to serve with diverse constituencies
· Availability to attend community meetings and events during evening and weekend hours (frequency of these varies by position but typically there would be several of such events per month).
· Willingness to take initiative to achieve goals
· Strong project management/multi-tasking abilities
· A clear plan for living on the AmeriCorps stipend in the Greater Boston area
Desired Skills for Marginal Functions
· Regular access to a car (required for Woburn, and helpful for non-Boston based positions)
· Knowledge of HTML, PHP and Drupal a plus for the positions that will serve as community portal webmasters.
· Bilingual communication skills a plus.
· Knowledge of the community served a plus.
· Ability to work on a team and independently.
· College degree or coursework is preferred.
· Members receive a modest living allowance during their service.
· Post-service educational award of $5,350.
· Health insurance coverage.
· Excellent experience for future professional and educational opportunities.
· Additional local benefits may be available.
· Pre-service orientation and on-site training provided by SCI; ongoing training opportunities and workshops.
Send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via regular mail to:
Social Capital Inc.
165M New Boston St., Suite 233
Woburn, MA 01801
Please note in your letter if you prefer to be considered for the Woburn, Dorchester, Fall River, Boston or Lynn based positions. Questions or problems, email email@example.com or call 781.935.2244.