CITY OF PITTSFIELD
DEPARTMENT OF PERSONNEL, CITY HALL, 70 ALLEN STREET, ROOM 107, PITTSFIELD, MA 01201 PHONE: 413-499-9340
The City of Pittsfield is seeking a qualified, professional candidate to fill the position of City Accountant. Under supervision of the Finance Director, the City Accountant is responsible for high level accounting functions and must possess thorough knowledge of municipal accounting regulations, ensuring the City is in compliance with all relevant statutory requirements under Massachusetts General Law.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Fiscal management of all city accounts, including the maintenance of all financial records to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations
- Responsible for supervising and controlling the expenditure of all City funds; examines departmental bills and payrolls for accuracy and availability of funds
- Review all monthly departmental statements of expenditures and unexpended balances, and such other internal statistical and financial reports as required
- Maintains the accuracy of all financial records from the general ledger and monthly reports given to department heads and city councilors
- Performs internal and external audits
- Prepares yearly financial statements for the Department of Revenue
- Assists in the preparation of the City’s annual budget
- Attends quarterly finance meetings and annual budget hearings
- Supervise, manage, train, and evaluate Accounting department staff in accordance with City and departmental policies and procedures
- Perform related duties as may be required or assigned
The desired candidate must be a self-starter and possess strong management capabilities. In addition, candidate must have the ability to communicate clearly and effectively, and work in a collaborative manner with other departments, managers, and direct supervisor.
Qualifications and minimum requirements for employment include:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or closely related field.
- Five (5) years’ experience in accounting field, with experience in a supervisory capacity
- Certification in Massachusetts Government Accounting preferred, or must be obtained within three (3) years of hire.
- Proficient with Microsoft office programs.
- Experience working with financial management system software
- Municipal accounting experience strongly preferred.
Interested candidates should forward application and resume with cover letter to:
City Hall, Personnel Department
70 Allen Street, Room #107
Pittsfield, MA 01201
Deadline: Friday, December 20, 2013
City of Pittsfield is an EEO/AA Employer