Property Ranger – Bartholomew’s Cobble (Seasonal)
Created by geologic upheavals when the Taconic and Berkshire ranges were formed, the hundred-foot-high bedrock outcropping at Bartholomew’s Cobble introduces visitors to a rugged and exotic landscape that also supports 800 species of plants while offering terrific mountain vistas and has been designated a National Natural Landmark.
The Seasonal Ranger plays an important role in representing The Trustees of Reservations within the Western Region and perpetuating the high standards established by the organization. The Seasonal Ranger contributes to pursuing The Trustees of Reservations goals in the areas of visitor’s services and ecological resource protection. The Ranger supports our goals regarding sustainability, volunteerism, and inclusion & diversity.
The Seasonal Ranger oversees the upkeep, administration, and interpretation of the visitors center at Bartholomew’s Cobble. All employees of The Trustees of Reservations work to support the membership and public outreach programs in the Western Region. The Seasonal Ranger reports to the Bartholomew’s Cobble Conservation Ranger.
- Responsible for maintaining a presence (including interfacing with visitors, answering phones) in the Visitors Center during open hours, sometimes by means of volunteers.
- Orienting visitors, collecting admissions fees, selling memberships, and performing other visitors service related tasks.
- Provides administrative support by booking groups, programs, taking reservations, and other tasks.
- Responsible for the collection and logging, depositing, and reporting of gate fees, membership sales, and occasionally program fees.
- Oversees the upkeep of the visitors’ center and the immediately surrounding grounds.
- Supports the Conservation Ranger in stewardship and ecology projects on the property as needed.
- Supports and supervises the work of stewardship and visitors service volunteers.
Qualifications and Experience
An ideal candidate for Seasonal Ranger would:
- Have a current driver’s license and good driving record.
- Have current CPR certification.
- Enjoy working with a diversity of people, have excellent people skills, and be comfortable and competent speaking to the public and handling money.
- Have a working knowledge of the natural history of southern Berkshire County.
- Be able to work independently.
- Be comfortable using hand tools and power equipment.
- Be able to handle the physical demands of the job.
- Have computer skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Hours, Salary & Benefits
This position is a part-time, seasonal position with a schedule of 30hrs/wk, April–August. Compensation is $10–12/hr, commensurate with experience.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to:
Rene Wendell, Conservation Ranger
Founded in 1891, The Trustees of Reservations preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and works to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers and more than 40,000 members.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aim to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts, who are at the core of our mission.
We would appreciate your participation in a brief, voluntary survey about the position you are applying for and about yourself. Your response will be completely anonymous and will be held completely confidential. This information is not used towards any decision regarding employment. Survey Link.