Museum Educator/Historic House Guide
Ashley House, Mission House and Naumkeag
Stockbridge and Sheffield MA
In the Berkshires, The Trustees of Reservation own and steward a series of five historic homes, which, together, cover periods in history ranging from the early settlement of the Berkshires by the British in the 18th century to the years of political tension and war of the mid-20th century. We strive to use these sites to educate, tell stories, provide places of beauty and relaxation, provide opportunities to reflect on the past and let it challenge our present assumptions, and to show the public how they can become a part of preserving their own stories and the history of the communities in which they live.
The Trustees of Reservations is seeking to hire Museum Educator/Historic House Guides for Ashley House (Sheffield), Mission House and Naumkeag (Stockbridge). This position encompasses a variety of tasks as Educator and House Guide for the Berkshires Historic Homes operated by The Trustees of Reservations. The position of Museum Educator/Historic House Guide offers a wonderful opportunity to share your love of history, nature and culture with our visitors.
Historic House staff report to the Cultural Site Administrator.
- Articulate the mission of The Trustees of Reservations, and our state-wide initiatives in the area of Conservation and Historic Preservation.
- Conduct House Tours as assigned by the manager on duty and interpret the house as current policy and themes dictate.
- Pre-opening setup to assure that everything is ready when the first visitor arrives.
- Greet and welcome visitors as they arrive.
- Protect the collections and the house by following best museum practices and by overseeing and educating visitors to act responsibly while in the house or on the grounds.
- Offer guidance and assistance to our guests throughout the day.
- Assist in securing the house in the evening.
- Carry out assignments as requested by the manager on duty.
- Promote The Trustees of Reservations and our work, and encourage our guests to join us as members in preserving special places across the state of Massachusetts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education, and Skills
Museum Educators/Guides should be professional and knowledgeable in their work and capable of delivering an interesting and accurate tour as theme and interpretation dictates.
- Educators must be comfortable with public speaking, and able to convey the history of our special places with enthusiasm.
- Must possess the talent to answer questions cheerfully and with patience no matter how many times they are repeated in a day.
- Must have a sense of humor and be customer service-oriented.
- The ability to make guests feel welcome and important to The Trustees of Reservations.
Hours, Salary & Benefits
This is a seasonal, exempt position, located in western Massachusetts. The position is part-time from May until mid-October; the work schedule requires some flexibility, and weekend availability is necessary.
Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: The Trustees of Reservations, Att: Colleen Henry, PO Box 792, Stockbridge MA 01262. No phone calls, please.
Visit: http://www.thetrustees.org/about-us/employment/current-openings/ for additional information.
About the Trustees
The Trustees of Reservations are 100,000 people like you who want to protect the places they love or who simply like to be outdoors. Together with our neighbors, we protect the distinct character of our communities and inspire a commitment to special places across the Commonwealth. Our passion is to share with everyone the irreplaceable landscapes and landmarks that we care for — as we know how valuable they are to our lives every day.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, the Trustees of Reservations aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of our team. We also aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.