Technology, VR, Covid-19

It’s been a busy and surreal week.  With all the news and talk of Covid-19 people are rushing to find technology solutions should we in the U.S., Massachusetts, or the Berkshires be told to stay home as has been the case in other places.  I myself have been pretty busy making sure we are ready at BCC insuring that there is a good and viable student support structure setup, which I feel there is.  Not only do we have our Knowledge Base, but should I myself have to work from home there are all sorts of other technology tools at my disposal including several laptops, Skype/Zoom, remote help assistance programs, and my good old trusty cell phone which all my desk calls are automatically forwarded to.

Another tool at my disposal is Virtual Reality.  While I may not be able to meet virtually with students unless they also have an Oculus headset, VR can provide an ability to meet with staff or faculty who have them.  This isn’t a new idea.  Even before the Covid-19 situation started Purdue was offering students the ability to attend commencement remotely.  There is also a recent Forbes article which discusses some conferences being hosted entirely through VR, no coincidence it’s a conference about VR so the folks who would be in attendance already have the equipment and know-how.

If you are looking for something extra scary and have a VR headset, you can experience what it’s like to be under quarantine in China, but maybe this is a little too real for some!

Regardless, technology will be seen as one solution, perhaps the most viable solution, while this situation evolves.  I know that I’m ready should we be told to stay at home, and I will be able to travel where ever my headset lets me.