“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
‘Tis the season of love, so I thought it would be a nice time to reflect on the small things we can do to live more sustainably. Many people get frustrated when they can’t make huge changes, like buying an electric car or going off the grid, but the little acts are important. The little acts, performed with great love, can create a paradigm shift that opens up more opportunities for sustainable living and a cleaner, greener future.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Recycle! Now is a great time to start recycling as we are in the middle of Recycle Mania!
- Compost! Did you know that almost everything from the cafeteria is compostable? The only things that can’t go into the compost bins are glass, plastic, and metal.
- Turn off your computer monitor when you leave your office! This simple act can save a lot of money and energy.
- Go vegetarian or vegan! Factory farming is a major contributor to climate change and produces massive amounts of pollution. Giving up or reducing your animal product intake is a compassionate choice that’s also good for your health! Choose veg!
- Divest from fossil fuels! Did you know that this week is Global Divestment Week? If you have a retirement account or investments, you can choose where your money goes! This small act sends a powerful message to the fossil fuel companies.
- SUBSCRIBE TO THE BCC GREEN TEAM BLOG! Sign up with your email to get updates on campus green events, local volunteer opportunities, and eco-friendly tips.